- $4.6 billion invested
- 395,125 vehicles produced in 2018
- $2.8 billion purchased from U.S. suppliers
- 84 international nameplate dealerships
- 52,971 new vehicles registered in 2018
- 51% market share of new vehicle registrations in Mississippi
- 8,020 direct employment
- 3,525 dealership jobs
- 23,598 other indirect employment
- $179 million dealership employee compensation
- $1.9 billion in direct and other indirect employee compensation
- Without the operations and related activities of international automakers and auto dealers in the U.S., the unemployment rate in Mississippi would be 4.8% - far higher than the 7.5% official rate.
- $438 million in state and local tax receipts and other revenues
- $500 million in federal tax receipts and other revenues for the federal government
International Automakers' Vehicles
Made in Mississippi
International automakers have put down deep roots in America and over the past 50 years have become a significant and integral part of the U.S. economy. As a result, the entire American auto industry is stronger and more competitive in the global marketplace.
Vehicle Sales in Mississippi
Sources: The 2018 Global Automakers and AIADA Economic Impact Survey, AIADA’s membership roster, NADA DATA, WardsAuto InfoBank, IHS Markit Vehicle Registration Data, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, and The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute 1998 study prepared for the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers (AIAM). Automobile manufacturers participating in the 2018 Global Automakers and AIADA Economic Impact Survey: BMW Group, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Cars.
Indirect economic impacts derived by SCOUT Economics using direct employment, dealer employment, and auto parts employment multipliers from the IMPLAN input-output model. 116 Unemployment rates based on February 2019 Seasonally Adjusted Labor Force from Bureau of Labor Statistics.
International Automakers' Presence in Mississippi
- Nissan Canton Vehicle Assembly Plant - Canton
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi - Blue Springs
- Toyota Logistics Services, Inc./Marshalling Yard - Tupelo