State Government Affairs Manager
The State Government Affairs Manager will report to the Vice President of Government Affairs and support the Association’s state government affairs advocacy and public policy efforts. The successful candidate will be able to self-initiate and organize projects that communicate the benefits of open tradeWork cross-functionally with federal government affairs, environment and energy, vehicle safety and connected automation, legal and communications teams to produce successful outcomes with state policymakers regarding the impact of and investment made by the international automotive industry in the United States.
- Monitor and analyze state and local policy issues relevant to trade and competitiveness, green vehicle technology and automated and connected vehicle innovation.
- Manage the activities and agenda of the state government affairs committee.
- Work collaboratively with Association members, through the state government affairs committee and other fora, to build consensus on public policy positions and advocacy engagement.
- Develop and execute strategies that communicate Association positions with key stakeholders as well as build partnerships to leverage advocacy outreach.
- Manage state lobbyists and consultants across the country.
- Minimum of five years of relevant political, policy or advocacy experience with an emphasis on state government affairs.·
- Direct experience working with or in state government or political environment required.
- Possesses the ability to analyze alternatives and demonstrate the most effective advocacy course of action.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent academic experience.
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written), with the ability to respond to detailed inquiries.
- Excellent personal and intuitive thinking skills.
- Advanced degree, preferably law degree.
- Experience and demonstrated success advancing legislation.
- Understanding the intersection between public policy and business strategy.
- Experience with campaign related and political action committee work.
- Experience in transportation related or tech-sector policy.